If like me, you do a lot of long distance endurance training you will know the importance of fueling on the go!
It’s important to get it right, something that is small enough to carry, easy to eat, tastes good and above all gives you the fuel you need to sustain your performance.
After many tried and tested recipes, here is my solution! Energy bombs! They also happen to be Gluten free, vegan, easy to make and if I say so myself, taste pretty darn good! They freeze really well too, so just remember to take out a few the night before.
Sadly though they are not the best looking snack on the planet but what they lack in looks they make up for in punch!
Preparation time, 10mins tops.
Dried Dates, remove the stones
Dried Figs, remove the little stalk
Green and Blacks Cocoa Powder
Other Suggestions but not essential:
Cereal sprinkles such as linseed, goji berries, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds etc
- In a saucepan, put figs, dates and apricots. Cover with water and heat up till fruit is soft. (I don’t measure anything, just throw a good handfull of each in. You will be freezing them so make as many as you have room for.)
- Using either a hand held blender or a potato masher, get them mushed till they are soft and puree like.
- If you are adding any other ingredients throw them in now! Be as creative as you like but remember they are for fuel! This is no time for creme fraiche! DO ADD some Cocoa powder here. Give all a good stir.
- Get a big sheet of parchment paper on your counter top and put a good heap of cocoa powder on it.
- Let the puree cool for a minute or so until you can pick it up in your hands. Roll a small ball of puree though the cocoa powder. You can either roll into balls, little bars, whatever works for you. I usually make each ball slightly smaller than a golf ball and bars, about the size of a fat finger!
- Pop them in some tupperware and keep in the freezer. Take out as many as you need the night before. I usually wrap them individually in tinfoil.
About the Author:
Sinéad Kennedy is a Physical Therapist, Yoga Siromani and Pilates Instructor, based in South County Dublin. She treats and teaches people from all walks of life, including many athletes, especially cyclists, runners & golfers. Recently featured in the Irish Independant, FIT Magazine, her Yoga 4 Cyclists class has gained notoriety.
A keen cyclist and proud member of Orwell Wheelers she has completed numerous cycling events including La Marmotte Sportive. Sinéad has also completed two Dublin City Marathons, numerous Adventure Races and Half Marathons.