Soon we will get to read all the articles about new year’s resolutions, what you need to do , what you should be doing and how to do it. If ever there was a time of year to feel inadequate or downright crap about yourself I think this it! It really is the post festivities hangover.
Do you really need someone to tell you you’re carrying a few extra pounds? That you need to get your finances sorted? That you’re not doing life right!? No! If your anyway self aware you know what you need to do. You get to do it. You decide what’s right for you.
So promise yourself this January NOT to make a to do list, it’s too hard and it actually just reminds or reaffirms what you are not successful at. Insead make a “what I get to do list!”
So let’s switch it up.
Typical January Resolutions lists sound something like this one. From drastic life changes to something we feel we “should” be doing.
- Give up Cigarettes
- Stop drinking for a month
- Lose 5 pounds
- Look for a new job
- Get fit
- Move house
These are pretty “normal” January resolutions that either we give ourselves or hear our friends/ family saying. You have been procrastinating for months but suddenly we feel that somehow January will make it different.
It won’t! You still have the same dread and negative thoughts about whatever it is you feel you are not doing/ need to improve.
Let’s change it up.
Give up cigarettes. It’s already a negative, it focuses on the absence of something you might quite like.
- I get to make this year healthy.
- I get to breath fresh air and I get to smell better. I get to save tonnes of money and I get to buy myself something nice.
No longer are you giving up something, instead you have a list of positive options. What other options are there?
- With the money I save I get to go on a fabulous exotic holiday?
- I get to live longer and I get to see my kids grow up!
Stop drinking for a month. Again we are focusing on what we are doing “wrong” in our life and perhaps feel guilty about it. Ditch the guilt trip. Lets see what positive options are available here.
- I get to wake up feeling fresh every day.
- I get to have a clear head. I get to drive my car when I want to.
- I get to give my body a declutter! I get to drink lots of other exciting drinks that I never knew existed.
You get the idea. For something that’s pretty important such as a new job or new house it can be really daunting. So rather than putting yourself in a stressful negative loop such as: I need to find a bigger house with more room in such an area for such a price… lets think about it. What do you get to do?
- You get to go and have a look around houses and get a very clear idea about what you do want and what you don’t want.
- You get to talk to real estate agents and get their help finding your dream home.
- You get to start afresh in a new area, new house. You get to live in a bigger house.
- You get to make new friends /neighbours. You get your dream home.
Weigh up your options and then see the positive in it.
What will you get to do this 2018?Join me for Yoga and Pilates classes in 2018. You get to have fun, feel good and meet like minded people.
About the Author:
Sinéad Kennedy is a Physical Therapist, Yoga Siromani and Pilates Instructor, based in South County Dublin. She treats and teaches people from all walks of life, including many athletes, especially cyclists, runners and golfers. Recently featured in the Irish Independant, FIT Magazine, her Yoga 4 Cyclists class has gained notoriety.
A keen cyclist and proud member of Orwell Wheelers she has completed numerous cycling events including La Marmotte Sportive. She is an accomplished audax-er having done numerous 200km and 300km routes. Sinéad has also completed three Dublin City Marathons, numerous Adventure Races and Half Marathons.